Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Letter to Nancy Boyda (D-KS)

Here's a copy of a letter I just sent to my representative, Nancy Boyda.

Hi Nancy,

The House messaging service is down right now, but I wanted to send you a quick note. Sorry if you're being bombarded!

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I saw that you voted against the bailout package yesterday. But, after reading your statements, I agree that the money could and should be spent more wisely than was proposed. Especially for things like building the new green energy economy, and making sure those jobs stay here, so our economy is stronger in the future.

My main issue is that you seem to be taking a partisan stance. I understand you're in a close re-election campaign, and the people of KS-02 are probably strongly against any more of their tax money being thrown into the fire on this problem. But this problem - the biggest economic crisis since the great depression - is bigger than partisan politics. And I do think congressional action sooner rather than later - even if it's just a start, is absolutely vital to instilling a bit of confidence in the markets and getting us back on track. The downside risks are too great for inaction.

That said, I trust your judgement and your priorities. It's going to be a tough couple of weeks.

Best of luck on the re-election campaign.

Eric Holthaus
Osage City, KS
currently New York, NY


10/2 UPDATE:
The House passed the Senate-altered version of the bailout package today - which included such things as an extra $100B of tax breaks for small businesses and alternative energy in order to win more votes. The bill is designed that when (if!) the market recovers, all $700B will be paid back to the taxpayers from the companies being bailed out.

Boyda still voted no. But, this is understandable as she's in a close race for re-election. And, I agree with her - now that we've bailed out wall street, we need to focus on bailing out main street. (Green Jobs for Kansas!)

1 comment:

Janet said...

pat on the back son...:)