Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Rent

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation."

So, over the weekend (how about that "So", Meg!) I got to see Rent on Broadway for the second time. I'm pretty sure I'll go back for a third time before they close the doors in September. This time, my friends Becca and Nicole were in town (specifically to see Rent) and so of course I wanted to join. If you've never seen it, I highly recommend it. It's almost a religious experience. Though I do recommend buying the soundtrack first and listening to it over and over (on public buses in Africa, perhaps) so you can sing (and moo) along while you're at the show.

But I did catch myself wondering this time if it would have been such a big success without the tragic story of Jonathan Larson's death the day before opening night. What a way to give meaning to a life though - how many millions have been inspired by his vision of love, inclusion and speaking out against injustice... You can add one to that list.

To Jonathan Larson.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Awesome! I hope you pretended like your sister was there with you again! What a great memory with my big brother!! :)
Love you!